Gun Control: Ideology or Reality?
created: 7/16/2019 7:56 PM in OPINION

GUN CONTROL:  Ideology or Reality?

GUN CONTROL

Ideology or Reality

If you had the opportunity to make a vast majority of public mass shootings go away tomorrow, would you do it?  I am sure you would agree that is a pretty bold statement to make.  Fact of the matter is, it is totally possible.

First, what is the definition of a public mass shooting?  According to the FBI, it is a crime committed by a person with a firearm where 3 or more people are killed in the same time frame and location.  That number was reduced from 4 to 3 in 2013.  Another definition to establish is, what is a gun free zone?  Gun free zones are places, public or private, where ordinary citizens cannot carry a firearm.

The final piece of this puzzle is to establish how many public mass shootings were done in gun free zones.  It is important to note these statistics do not include gang or drug violence shootings.  Statistics shown are from the CPRC (Crime Prevention Research Center).

Since 2015, there have been 5 events in non-gun free zones and 7 events in gun free zones.

Given the actual numbers and facts I think the answer is clear.  Eliminating gun free zones would have saved 494 lives from 1998 to the present.  In addition, the murderers who did survive, and taken into custody, indicated they purposely picked gun free venues because they figured people would obey the law and not be armed.  They also knew they would have the most impact for publicity purposes.  Unfortunately for the victims they were correct.  I would like to point out there have been no lives lost to gun mass shootings at gun shops or gun competition events.  This is the reality.

Now for the ideology aspect of gun control.  Recently, Governor Northam of Virginia called a special session of the Virginia legislature to address gun control following the public mass shooting in Virginia Beach, Virginia.  He put forth 10 gun control action items that would have done nothing to prevent this horrible event.  In his own words, the Governor lamented, if these items pass and save one life they are worth it.  Well Governor, statistics show you could have saved 12 lives by doing one simple act and that is lift the restriction on government employees not being able to carry a firearm while at work in government buildings.  I am sure you do not need the state legislature to do that.  In Virginia as it stands now, any person that can carry a firearm legally can do so in any government building that is not connected to or has access to a courthouse.  The problem is if you are a government employee at work you cannot.  This drives home my point that this has always been about ideology and control and not about saving lives.  This is also where the press has been historically complicit in the ideology of gun control.  I find it interesting the state flag of Virginia has the following on it, Sic Semper Tyrannis…..this is a Latin phrase that means "Thus always to tyrants," derived from "Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis," ("Thus always I bring death to tyrants"). If the state and federal legislators were truly about saving lives they would do away with gun free zones.

Our Founders did not intend the Second Amendment to be about hunting or sport shooting.  It is intended to be about preserving the other nine Bill of Rights and to act as a deterrent against any future tyrannical government.  Additionally, it is about the right of the citizenry to have the means of protecting themselves from harm.  That was why Thomas Jefferson once wrote "The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

Bob Lambert

Toano, Virginia

created: 7/16/2019 7:56 PM in OPINION

MurBob commented on 8/19/2019 1:25 AM
The CPRC (Crime Prevention Research Center) is a far right wing wacko information source. I like ARMSLIST.com, just bought a rifle from HobbyTime Motorsports. An LE6920. I'm a strong supporter of our 2nd amendment rights, but when folks post information from right wing propaganda websites, it harms your own reputation. It associates armslist.com with organizations willing to lie and create propaganda to push an agenda. Honor and integrity are important and right (or left) wing propaganda websites harm your own repuation. This will, in turn, harm the popularity of your website. It says that you're willing to lie and make up facts to push an agenda, and that's bad.
Erwin Susila, S.E. - Consultancy & Market Research commented on 8/18/2019 6:39 AM
The Great Law Jurisdiction Information based on Fact, Survey, & Daily Application
Boomertheboxer commented on 8/12/2019 1:07 AM
This is mind boggling, at the least. Not that I could not have expected the results, but I can’t even begin to imagine how the average person can’t see this. In perspective, cars kill more people annually than mass shooters do, we can all agree on that, right? So why aren’t the people who are pushing for the restrictions and banning of certain types of firearms not pushing to outlaw cars? Another example is drugs are illegal, so no one can get them, right? When is this thinking going to stop? Let the sensibly well trained US citizens police themselves and the citizens that are not comfortable to use firearms. There is nothing wrong In the least with not being comfortable using or owning firearms. I can tell everyone this, for fact, the only people who know that I am carrying when I do, is the people who I inform, ie my family. Those who are not comfortable with me carrying or don’t want to know, don't have to, and they never will. They can just thank me if, and when I confront and disable the mass shooter or any other threat. Just because you are not comfortable with firearms, does not mean well trained and firearm competent people are not. We should have the right to carry when and where we want. Oh yeah, I think that there is some type of law or amendment or legislative......... not sure, I forget.
chuck.payne@rocketmail.com commented on 8/9/2019 11:05 PM
Your chart, data, and source are definitely suspect. As of July 31, 2019, 248 mass shootings have occurred in 2019. This averages out to 1.2 shootings per day. In these shootings, 979 people were injured and 246 died (for a total of 1,325 victims). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2019 for a description and link to each of these incidents.
MarkF1955 commented on 8/2/2019 9:59 AM
"Since 2015, there have been 5 events in non-gun free zones and 7 events in gun free zones." Is that a typo?
Latest Video